A policy of participation that defines the Museum of the Ionian University is also a key factor in the field of research through the formation of an organizational system with subunits. The organization of the Working Groups includes in its initial stage an open invitation to dialogue, to defining the research axes, and in the second stage their operation, one that is not independent but interconnected, since they all together reflect the various research objectives of the Museum.
The groups that were set up, focus on the following topics:
- School History and Education, with Konstantinos Angelakos, Professor of the Department of History of the Ionian University, as the scientific director.
- Digital Culture / Arts, with scientific supervisors Konstantinos Oikonomou, Professor of the Department of Informatics of the Ionian University and Elena Hamalidi, Assistant Professor of the Department of Audio and Visual Arts of the Ionian University.
- New museum trends in the 21st century, with Stavros Vlizos, Director of the Ionian University Museum Collections. Associates here include Triantafyllos N. Hatzidimou, Laboratory teaching staff of the Department of History, Archaeology and Social Anthropology of the University of Thessaly. (Permanent visitor surveys, visitor management methods), Spyros Tzanavaris, Laboratory teaching staff member of the Department of Archives, Library Science and Museology of the Ionian University (Museums and mental health), Maria Tsouka, postgraduate student of museum exhibitions at the University of Ioannina and Elena Vasilaki, Civil Engineer TE / Curator of Museum Collections.
- A University Museum Oral History Group, with scientific director Konstantinos Angelakos, Professor of the Department of History of the Ionian University and collaborator Akis Pavlogiannis, Laboratory teaching staff of the Department of Archives, Library Science and Museology of the Ionian University.
- Cultural Communication, with Spyros Polykalas, Professor of the Department of Digital Media and Communication of the Ionian University, as the Scientific Director.
- Recording and Preventive Conservation of Cultural Items, with Christos Karydis, Assistant Professor of the Department of Environment of the Ionian University.
The immediate goals of the activity of these groups encompass the submission of research material that will be usable by specialized audiences, beyond members of the public, but also an increasing participation of the public is sought, either individually or through large groups, in the above procedures. Especially in terms of cooperating with third parties, this includes giving the incentive and voice to the end users for a substantial intervention on their part.